Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My tired bakkie!!!


Only 3 days into our mission's outreach to Rundu, Namibia, my car pooped out. Praise God, it ended up only being a radiator problem, but it meant we had to hire a car for the next couple of weeks. Bad news, it wasn't in the budget. Good news, car hire is cheap in Africa. We continued on our journey in the heat and humidity and made Rundu without missing a beat. While there we taught in the government high school (their life skills classes), held an after school club at the local Christian school, did various 'devotional' gigs and worked in the villages. We showed the 'Jesus film' in the village one evening. It was so cool. The film was showed in english and then a guy translated it into the local tribal language...it was one of the highlights of the trip. Then Yolanda shared her testimony as local Shebeen owners (bar) and the local chief heckled and tried to derail us. But they all settled down, God removed obstacles, and, working with a local missionary to the villagers, we were able to minister out in the middle of the desert.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like thinking that somehow leading our motley group of women in a Bible study at CrossWinds, prepared you for your trip to Rundu.
I love the picture of Yolanda sharing her testimony as the local Shebeen owners heckled her. I pray someday they will know Him because of Yolanda's faithfulness. Thanks for all the great pictures. Tell Becky i loved viewing all of hers too.

Laura Taylor said...

Hey J- Leading our Bible study prepared me for leaving America. :) Bec is quite the photographer.

dc said...

Hey Sista! You sure are on a amazing adventure. Don't fall out of the boat :) But on the other hand if you want to walk on water . .. .you have to get out of the boat :) Anyway, just checking in and wanted you to know that you are my hero! Keep up the God/Good work my friend! You will reap a reward in due time . . .all for God's glory! Loving Jesus, loving you, Denise

cynthia said...

ohhhhh this is amazing. i'm sad that you'll be home in six week and i'll still be in seattle! poop. hearing from you makes me heart so happy though. i'll be praying for ya'll and the villages in Namibia and everywhere...goodness.

(and ps for my geography class i just learned all the countries and capitals of a-friiiii-KA!! yaaayy!)

love you guys.

Unknown said...

Ah my dearest Sister,

Trouble comes in all shapes and sizes. But one thing is for sure, we haven't run out of our measure of grace and trouble always seems to galvinize and reprioritize me:).
Becky and I miss u terribly and are looking forward to your presence once again.

Love,
Chris and fam

valere said...

Love the Photos, can't wait til you get here. Many prayers and thoughts! valere

Catherine Morrison said...

Laura this is a blast from your Seminary past. I was so excited to find you and see what God is doing in your lives! Would love to catch up with you! Do you have an email address?

Laura Taylor said...

CATHERINE MORRISON!!!!! No Way!!!! Wow...You would be surprised at how many times I've thought about you over the years! I haven't checked my blog in weeks so I certainly hope you get this message. If so- my email address is: ltaylor1960@gmail.com

Wow.....