Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sonstraal TB/HIV Hospital


Photo: Some of the kids at the hospital and an American friend who was helping out for a day, Jenny (a friend of Patty's). Sonstraal Hospital is located in Paarl East (the colored community) and is a home for about 100 TB/HIV patients. Some are multi-drug resistant TB patients. They are in a special ward where we are discouraged from going, however, there are a few patients who come from that side to sit with us and see what we're all about. They are supposed to wear face masks, but that's so uncomfortable, offensive and claustrophobic that none do. I completely trust that God has called me to Sonstraal for this season and He will protect me...I mean really, I myself no longer live but Christ lives in me (Gal. 2:20) and Christ physically loved (that means touching) the sick and diseased. Without a doubt, those who have been in the hospital for months and months have not had human contact, i.e., a hug, for months and months. Having lost Ty 2 1/2 years ago, I know it's like to not get a hug as regularly as I was used to (or needed). Honestly, what would Jesus do? He would hug them. Tylyn's key question- Why would Jesus do it? Answer: Because God is love.
There are about 20 children presently at the hospital. The numbers change every day. Some patients leave because they are ready to go home and continue treatments and meds from the comfort of their homes, others die, and there is always an influx of new patients. The little ones are mostly between one and four years old. Several have a TB/Spinal Meningitis/HIV combination. They are the hardest ones to pass by in the cribs. The others are getting well (God gave children amazing resilience) and love to see us coming.
As do the women. Three colored women from Lighthouse Church in Paarl East , Patty Gay and myself visit the hospital 2x a week for only a couple of hours at a time. The female patients, who at first were skeptical and resistant to hanging out with us, now sit on the stoop waiting before we get there. We craft with them, or play a game and then tie in a Bible lesson and a testimony about God's activity in our lives, as well as encourage them towards good physical and spiritual health. The women speak mostly Afrikaans but they understand a lot of my English, thanks to "The Young and the Restless." A favorite 'soapie' over here. We sing songs and dance a little...well, the volunteers dance...the women mostly watch, tap their feet and sing along.
You may be saying to yourself, 'funny, Laura, I don't remember you ever saying that your intention was to go work in a hospital with women and children'. And you would be right...that was not my intention. However, you will remember me saying that "God is calling me to SA, and although I'll be working with the discipleship programs in Paarl East and Mbekweni, God will tell me what I'm really supposed to be doing once I'm there."
And, yes, I am still working with the discipleship program. Greg Oefinger and I just plotted out our curriculum, events and short term teams strategies (concerning discipleship) for 2008! Developing some young leadership in Paarl East will be the number one priority this year so that when the community center/sports complex and the Butterfly House (an HIV/AIDS day care center) open we will be prepared to staff it with volunteers/disciplers who love God and love others.

12 comments:

Libby Ashley said...

Laura Taylor! I love you! I love this blog! It's so wonderful how God is using you in the hospital. That pulls at my heart and makes me want to be there tomorrow!
Praying for you!
p.s. your hair is looking magically long. I"m in love.

valere said...

Wow this puts our Wed night study in the Gospel of John way in perspective... We continue to pray for you and the entire team ministering there! It would be so hard not to hug everyone of them! Love you!

Laura Taylor said...

Libs- I'm ready for you! And how did you get that little pic of yourself to appear? Cute!
Val- Thanks for the gals prayers! Hug them for me and pass on the blog info!
Love you!

Jana B. said...

I am so with Libby! God bless you Taylors! You've got your hands firmly in Christ's and you are letting Him take you.....
wherever!!! Man, what a scary and wonderful adventure!

coley said...

Hey sis and boys,
God is good all the time! Your life makes ours look so insignificant, but we have to remember that we are all called to our own sphere of influence, whether it be in SA or here in a dinky town in California. May God bless you in your journeys and keep you protected. We love you all and continue to pray for you as well as those you come in contact with. Love ya

Laura Taylor said...

Coley- don't you have a house full of hungry little ones yourself? Kiss the babies for me. Tell mom and dad to look at the blog! They are so techno slow!

Jana B. said...

La, I've been studying the Psalms during my quiet time lately. I really like Psalm 131, especially the middle part: "O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me. Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me. O Israel, hope in the Lord From this time forth and forever." I just love the sweet picture of a child nestled in perfect peace in her mother's arms. That's similar to my prayer for you, Laura, that wherever you go, and whatever you do, it will be done in the quiet peace of a child resting in the arms of her Father.

Eddie Clark said...

Laura,
I've been reading your blogs and I'm inspired by the things that I find here. In reading some of the comments made by people that I don't know, but who obviously love you too... I am touched by the common thread of love seen here. Among some of the thoughts that I've seen, the one that I most closely identify with is much of what Coley wrote to you on the 12th. He stated perfectly how God has us all plugged into many different things and places – some in South Africa, and others… WHEREVER He has placed us! (Do I remember a similar conversation with you during this past summer?)

Well... that's it from here. I just wanted to let you know what a blessing the blogs have been so far. And please know that I'm praying for you!

Jana B. said...

Hi La. I have another wonderful verse for you. This one is to give to the people you are ministering to. Psalm 149:4 "For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation."

Laura Taylor said...

Eddie- love you, too. BTW, Coley is my baby sister- Nicole. :) Remember? She was born when we were at college together. You would love my friends, right up your proverbial alley!

banana- great verses! "Surely I have composed and quieted my soul..." There's a personal goal! Thanks for the encouragement!

Rebecca said...

Dang. The whole Ps 131 thing...phew. I picture Jakers after (and I say after he is fed- after he has wigged out cause he had to wait on me- sound familiar?) and it's so real to me.I'm going to write that ps in my journal. It's one of my new favorites. Thnx Jana. And, I have never heard this side of you: you little power-house for Jesus.
Laura- that narration made me cry. You know I'd be huggin' all over them.
Thank you for taking us with you- for not letting us turn our faces away- for making it real for us.

Cheryl Birmingham said...

I about cried as I read this blog, Laura. Thank you for sharing with us in words, prayers and pictures. It allows us to be there with you...and you with us.

Human touch...how God designed us to be hugged, nurtured, loved. How one's soul and mind disintergrates when there is no one touching,hugging...loving on them.

You bring me back to memories of those God placed in my life with disabilities, whether here or on an outreach. How I've encountered many people who didn't want to "touch" people with disabilities in fear of "catching" whatever they had.

Thank you for being Jesus with skin on--the Jesus that does embrace, hug, nurture, love.

Thank you for building relationships, bonds of trust and friendships with these women.

You and I both know...the old cliche "they will know we are Christians by our love"...corny, but oh so true.

Be blessed as you recieve their love that they give back to you. And may they come to know Jesus through your love and touch...

Take care.