Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving in South Africa

The photo is actually from a few weeks ago when Sam, Joe and I had Lubabalo, Becky, Heather and the boys new big sister, Jenna, over for squash and gourd cutting. I was too busy on Thanksgiving day to snap a few pics! Still, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Only four, count them, four turkeys to choose from at the local market. Which would be fine except for the fact that they were all the size of big chickens...with one exception. I put the 21 pound cellophane wrapped, poorly plucked, bird into my 'trolley' and began the search for pumpkin. Which was fruitless, no pun intended. But I did find pumpkin's South African cousin, butternut squash...in baby food jars. 16 Jars later I had enough for 2 pies. Stuffing isn't common here, but bread is, so 4 loaves later, dried and diced, my Stovetop simulation was perfect. Becky (a US intern) made an apple pie and the sweet potato casserole. It was unbelievably delicious! Jibs (the American mom of the Oefinger family) made mountains of mashed potatoes and everybody else brought a little something so we had the American Abundance that spells Thanksgiving!

Sixteen of us gathered together after working in the communities with Hospice, or at the TB/HIV Hospital, serving soup after discipleship or pulling office hours at the MCM Coffee House. We said grace and were eating by 8PM. Sam was blessed to have Madison Spina, the 6th grade daughter of Vince and Didi Spina, keep him company for the evening. 8 year old Mason had a ball with Gage and Jud Oefinger. The Spina's are good friends of one of my dearest friends, Michelle Brinnon; Michelle made some connections and we were blessed to have Americans we had just met on Wednesday join us for serving soup and feasting festivities!

Interesting enough- When we all went around the table to say what we were thankful for, the common theme, other than God's abounding love, was the fact that there was an abundance of food on the table. We had all just come from a community where one meal a day is blessing, even if it's just a bologna and butter sandwich. As each of us reflected on the many reasons we have to be thankful, our gravy stained empty plates were a strong reminder of God's provision, and for that we are most Thankful.

This was my 3rd Thanksgiving day without my best friend, my husband, Ty and the first without my mother in law, Vi, and their first together in 3 years. It was also difficult, no, different , to be away from Tylyn, Bethany and Travis this year. But they were together with their grandpa Jay, and uncle Mark, and then they went over to their Grandma and Grandpa Hixon's in Manteca to be with all of our wonderful family there. So, as lonely as I was for them, Jehovah knows and He holds them in the palm of His hand, cradling them with tender loving care, the 'mother love' of God. As a hen (or turkey if you will) pulls her chicks in under her wing to provide comfort and nurture, like only a mother can.

And I'm thankful for all of the prayer support and financial support from you, my extended spiritual family in America. I miss your laughter and your hugs. We've been out of internet at the house for 4 days now (my family can blow through 3 gigs in a dozen days) which means we can only email sporadically and can't use the Vonage line at all. Ahhhhh.the joys of living in a developing country. :)

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing with us your creatively put together celebration. You've always had the gift of doing much with little. Thanks for reminding me of how overfed and indulged we are here in the U.S. I love being on this journey with you. Don't ever forget that 'someone in Texas loves you'....

Love, Pammy Sue

Unknown said...

Just crying... I miss you and want to be there!!!!

Love, Michelle

Rebecca said...

You paint such beautiful pictures with your words, I can just see you chuckling to yourself as you place that many babyfood jars in your cart. Oh how I hang on every word of your "God stories" (as I call them).
C & I missed you at Thanksgiving.

Laura Taylor said...

Michelle, don't wait. Come! You would love it here!