Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm baaaack!!!

God speaks loud and often in South Africa! That's a saying you hear many times in this country, and I have found it to be very true. The boys and I have been here over 8 months now , and even though we have some routines and many South African friendships, I still feel as though I am in a steep learning curve. I struggle with the languages (there are 4 locally) and I struggle with understanding how and when to help the poor. They are on my door step every day, picking avocados off my tree, digging through my garbage cans and looking in my windows from the sidewalk, hoping to catch my eye in case I'm in a merciful, giving mood. Often times, I politely wave them on, sometimes I firmly wave them away...and then I cry out to the Lord- "Father, I don't know how to do this. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. You say the poor will always be among you, and they are. If I'm not immersed in their community then they come over the river to mine."

I am energized by the cross cultural experiences that MCM has been enjoying lately. We have had some real ground breaking experiences...which I will blog on about later, but for now I can log off and know that my family will stop emailing me telling me to update my blog! :) Love you guys! See you 8 months!

1 comment:

Jana B. said...

Hey, there pal of mine. Paulette got me thinking about you, the Lord, and Africa. What is the most unexpected thing the Lord has shown you since you've been there?

God's been showing me that I'm a little tiny woman in the grand scheme of things, but that He loves me beyond measure, and He will use me every day I let Him.

He has been letting me notice how many misteps I make in the course of a typical day. In showing me this, He has revealed more completely the perfection of His love and the extent of His mercy. I don't think I've ever experience His tenderness so completely before.