Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMill



June 7th is gearing up to be an eventful day here in Paarl. The Lukhanyo Community Center in Mbekweni is going to make history by renting the Paarl Town Hall and bringing their youth (and an adult choir) across the great cultural divide to extend a hand of friendship. The organization's only goal is to invite white and colored South Africans in to Mbekweni by coming across the invisible barriers first. What a noble and maverick leadership Lukhanyo has at the helm!
Sidwell and Wellington approached me, on the counsel of an MCM staff member...who now owes me big time...and asked if I would direct the entire effort. Actually they didn't ask. They merely put a deposit down on town hall and then handed me the keys. I love these guys and have the same passion they do for doing cross cultural ministry, so with the help of Andisiwe, Yolanda and Mphati, as well as the Lukhanyo staff and MCM team, we are well on our way to creating a cultural sampler platter using acts from Paarl East (the colored community), Mbekweni and Paarl. White, black and colored...all the colors of God's rainbow.
The photos are of Yolanda and I watching a talent show in the community as we try to narrow down the 6 hour program (typical Xhosa talent show- I love it!) to a 2 hour palatable experience. (I'm the Caucasian in the middle) The girls in school uniforms are 'Sarafina', a dance troupe. They are AMAZING!!!!!
Yes...you are absolutely correct in thinking I'm right in my element!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome Laura. I believe your boat has been floated. Do you need a co-chair for the June 7 event??

Laura Taylor said...

Please come and share a chair! There is more work than I know what to do with...and it all moves so...SLOW! Patience isn't a big deal with me...but when you have to take out defibrillators to get a meeting started....

I don't want to be the pushy American running over everybody so I have to ignore my expectations and do it all in 'Africa Time'.

Paulette said...

It sounds like it is going to be a great time - and a great thing that you guys are trying to do.

Is 'Africa Time' like 'Island Time'? Where things go pretty slowly? Several years ago, I was in Hawaii and people move very slo.....w...ly. Here I am in a rush to get my rental car so I can get to the hotel and get unpacked and...I realized, I don't have to be anywhere. It's just part of our culture. Rush...rush...rush.

It seems that people in other countries who take their time, enjoy life more. Even when there is more hardship...

Jana B. said...

This IS awesome, La. What a perfect ministry for you. You will bless the dickens (or "clickers", if you prefer) out of them! (They'll probably bless the dickens out of you right back.)

Laura Taylor said...

hahahaha...that's what I love about you JAna...you never let a good gag die!

Laura Taylor said...

P- Africa time and Island time sound strangely similar. :) It all beats the heck out of American time...although my adjustment back to the US will probably be ...uh...awkward. :)

Jana B. said...

Hey La.

Have you heard of George Muller? He was a pastor and orphanage director in the 1800's.

Laura Taylor said...

Yeah- I've read his biograhy. Ty actually wrote a one act play about Muller's life and the miraculous provision for the orphans. Cool, eh?

Jana B. said...

Yes, very cool. When I heard about him, I thought about you and your group in South Africa.

God is so big, it is mind-boggling.